Monday, March 4, 2013

Aortic Arch Work Recently, I was given the chance to do two complex aortic arch reapir work. These patient had aortic tears repaired in an emergency setting. Surgery was life saving. Their entire body circulation was stopped, the clock started ticking, and surgeons had to repair their aorta with a synthetic graft as fast as possible. They made it through the surgery, but a few years down the road, the graft started leaking. My hospital team is extremely experienced in repairing such leaks, while making sure that blood supply to their brain is uninterrupted. The surgery, anaesthesia and perfusion is complex. I was watching and learning about the surgery from the eyes of a novice. And I learnt a lot. I gave a short talk on the topic. I was daunting. I was no expert. If you cant make people understand, it might mean you dont understand. I prepared the talk in a way, that it would take ten minutes, and a beginner would understand so they can be of more help and learn more the next time any of them got a chance. It took about 10-15 mins. The steps were a bit oversimplified-there's a lot more details. The crew needs to be very skilled, experienced and on their toes at all times. I highlighted one major blood flow problem that can arise. Thats about it.

No comments: